Jun 5, 2012

Commitment - an act of insanity or a pledge?

According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary the word commitment can be defined as:

Definition of COMMITMENT

1
a : an act of committing to a charge or trust: as (1) : a consignment to a penal or mental institution (2) : an act of referring a matter to a legislative committeeb : mittimus
2
a : an agreement or pledge to do something in the future;especially : an engagement to assume a financial obligation at a future dateb : something pledgedc : the state or an instance of being obligated or emotionallyimpelled <a commitment to a cause>

As far as I know I haven't committed any acts that would involve a stay at a penal or mental institution.  Well definitely not the penal, but there are days that some may say a nicely padded solitary cell is required!
Photo courtesy of www.123rf.com

No, I'm talking about commitment because I've just made one.  A personal one.  A BIG one. Obligated myself to participate in a future event.  
Take a guess what it is.
It involves wearing brightly coloured clothing, mostly skin tight clothing, and not particularly a lot of it.  NOOO!  Minds out of the gutter please, this is a family show!
It also involves a lot of sweat (okay, really, I already told you not to go there) as well as determination.
Ever heard of A Midsummer Night's Run? No.  Well it's a summer time endurance event.  There are 2 options for distance - 15k or 30k.  Last summer I ran the 15k and that was the hardest physical event I've completed to date.  I didn't have enough training, was 40lbs too heavy and it was HOT!
Photo courtesy of fotosearch.com

The 2 Half Marathons I did next were way easier than that race.
But because I'm a sucker for punishment or something (remember that padded cell from up above?) this year I'm going all out.  THIRTY K BABY!!! In. The. Middle. Of. August.
I've signed on the dotted line.  Paid my fees.  Made the schedule.  It's a done deal.
Photo courtesy of http://icondoit.wordpress.com
The commitment is made.  My schedule is posted on the fridge for all to see.  There can't be any excuses.  There will be a lot of running going on over the next 11 weeks.  I will need help.  I might need to beg, plead, whine, promise lovely gifts to enlist the help of my family. (I think I see some shopping trips & daddy play dates in my future!!)  It's all about teamwork right?

This is my next big step.  A trip down the path to my end goal of that full marathon run. More to follow in the weeks to come as I get going with the training.

Once again I'm hanging out at YeahWrite - a great blogging community.  Read & be read!!  Enjoy.

read to be read at yeahwrite.me

2 comments:

  1. That's great - good luck! I admire you - I can't even bring myself to commit to running a 5K, even though it was one of my post-baby goals (the "baby" is now 2-1/2 years old. I know i could do it - I used to run all the time. The only thing standing in my way is fear and apathy. Maybe if I just signed up for one, it would give me the motivation I need to start training again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Inspiring! I go to yoga classes 3-4 times a week, but by comparison that seems wimpy to your 30K commitment. Makes me want to get off my butt and run around the block, at least. Though out here in the country that block is 3 miles. Good start. But I won't do it. I might walk it, but not run it. Enough about me. You go, I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete